Sickness Information

What do you do when you are off work with sickness?

If you are off work for seven days or less, your employer should not ask for medical evidence that you have been ill, instead they ask you to confirm that you have been ill. You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work - this is called self-certification (SC2 form) which is available on the HMRC website at

If you are off work for more than seven days, your employer will ask for a fit note (Statement of Fitness for Work) from your GP or hospital doctor. Fit notes are usually referred to as medical statements or sick notes.


For further information you can visit where this information was originally sourced.